Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer Race #2

Wednesday 7/27/2011

Steady NNW wind at 6-10 knots. Current started flooding around 18:00. Course was from H to 26 to 24 to H. A & B sailed to K instead of 24.

It was a beautiful summer evening to be sailing. Just enough wind to keep boats moving. There were some nice clouds above to give the setting sun a palette to spread its glory. A sun dog appeared on this rainless evening.  Sailboats were spread all across the river with full sails. The Clearwater herself was out for a jaunt and she looked like the mother hen with all her chicks playing about. 



Every sense was entertained this evening. The scene was a treat for the eyes. The gentle lapping of water on the hull was sweet music. The life of the land was carried over the water to the nose. The gentle warm breeze on the skin made the scratchy winter gear a distant memory. Even the Schaeffer tasted better on this night.

It was a sailor’s evening. I have been interested in the new trawlers that are on the market. I thought to myself that it would make a great boat to do the Great Loop in. I had pictured myself in the future cruising the rivers and canals that cross America. I realized sailing on this special evening that I would not want the diesel beast to be my only means of propulsion. While the tugs look nice and serene in pictures, they are still powered by diesel. I cannot fully free myself from the preoccupations of the modern world while under power from such a damaging substance. I get few chances to connect with nature and it is impossible to do so when carcinogens are spewing from the stern.

This is not my normal thinking on the matters. I am in the middle of Moby Dick. Melville points out the conflict in the churches in his day. They speak of benevolence, yet they light their nights with the oil from dead whales. He said that in every gallon of oil burned there was a drop of fisherman’s blood. As he writes about the horrors of whaling on both the whalers and the whales, it is ironic that the places of worship lit the night with the very same substance that caused so much pain.

So, I may never make the leap from sail to motor, though I will still reserve that right and avoid any proclamations to the contrary. On this evening, I was in the perfect place on the perfect vehicle. It was another great moment on the water. It is too rare that I get the chance to have careless thoughts floating through my head while I carelessly float on the water.

There was also a race. The race committee had good course selection. Both fleets finished around the same time which is always appreciated on Pizza night. The Race Marshall was setup on the port side of the line. I prefer they setup on the starboard side. Click here to read why. Surprise became mark K since it was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment