Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spring Race 4 Preview

Another Wednesday, another possible weather problem.  Today we have a cold front coming through the area.  With temps approaching 90 and high dew points, this is the right mix for storm cells to develop ahead of the front.  Luckily, it seems the front will pass before 17:00. 

I noticed the southerly gradient this morning and that is usually good for us.  The storms have the potential to suck out some of that energy, but I think we will have some decent winds after the front passes.  The front will usher in a more westerly flow at some point, so at least we have energy behind it.

The current is ebbing.  With the south wind, that could put some boats over the line early.  Watch for the current around the start area, especially if the southerly is lighter than expected.

Now this is the Hudson.  Our river-lake can be predictable, but once we get comfortable, she always changes her mind.  So take this with a grain of salt. 

I have formulated many plans from my work desk only to have everything change when I get out there.  It is the process of planning for a race that allows me to be prepared when plans changed. 
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

No comments:

Post a Comment